Other winners were Standard Bank Offshore Group for Best International Banking Service and BNP Paribas – currently awaiting a billion dollar settlement for sanctions violations in the US – who were “highly commended” as Best International Fund Group.
Since the offshore industry seems to regularly give itself awards, perhaps an alternative annual prize ceremony could be organized, inspired by The Intruders and their award for “innovation in interest rate manipulation” given to Barclays in 2012.
Some first ideas for award categories:
– Dodgiest offshore citizenship scheme
– Most creative registration of intellectual property for tax purposes
– Pseudo-academic offshore PR campaign of the year
– “We are not a tax haven” denial of the year
– Special achievement in profit shifting by a multinational
Maybe Bill Nighy could emcee?
Logistical note: Due to summer break regular posting will resume in early July. Thanks for following Secrecy Monitor!